Selected as WEF’s Outstanding Young Water Professional in 2004, she has written and presented numerous papers on IFAS and other biological wastewater treatment technologies. She is a co-author of several wastewater textbooks, including WEF Manual of Practice 35, BioFilm Reactors, Wastewater Treatment Design Handbook, the 5th edition of WEF Manual of Practice No. 8, Design of Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plants and a soon-to-be-released MOP 29, Biological Nutrient Removal Operation in Wastewater Treatment Plants.
Her solid leadership skills are reflected in her various positions on multiple WEF committees, including one term on the WEF House of Delegates, the representative governing board of the Water Environment Federation. She helped establish WEF’s Young Professionals programs and has served on the Municipal Wastewater Symposia of the Technical Program Committee, helping to select and moderate papers at the annual WEFTEC conference. Sarah has also been actively involved in the Pennsylvania Water Environment Association and the Water Environment Association of Texas. In her free time she regularly advocates on behalf of the non-profits Water for People and Living Water International.
Sarah holds a BS Degree in Chemical Engineering with Honors from Penn State University.
Papers by Sarah Hubbell:
- The Rocky Mountain Way – Tertiary MBBR proves innovative technology for cold weather nitrification, WEFTEC 2012
- Demonstration of IFAS Technology for Cold Temperature Nitrification in Lagoon WWTFs at Clare and Ludington, Michigan, WEFTEC 2011
- Enhancing Nitrification in an Oil Refinery WWTP with IFAS, WEFTEC 2008
- Integrated Fixed-Film/Activated Sludge (IFAS) for Refinery and Petrochemical Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrades, WEFTEC 2008
- Questions and Answers About Integrated Fixed-Film/Activated Sludge (IFAS) in a BNR Pilot Plant, WEFTEC 2007
- IFAS Media in a Sequencing Batch Reactor for Nitrification and Denitrification of High Strength Wastewater, WEFTEC 2006
- Eight Years of Successful Cold Weather Nitrification with Integrated Fixed-Film/Activated Sludge, WEFTEC 2006
- Webitat Advanced IFAS System Addresses Common Fixed Media Concerns, WEFTEC 2006
- Demonstration and Full Scale Results Upgrade for BNR Using Integrated Fixed-Film Activated Sludge (IFAS) Technology, WEFTEC 2004
- Engineering Robust Bug Motels for Tough Industrial Wastewater Retrofits
- Multiple Choice Answers for Integrated Fixed-film/Activated Sludge Technologies